This Model With Vitiligo Is The Face Of Two Major Fashion Campaigns
“I loved myself. And with that, opportunities start to fall into my lap. And I thank God for all of them. Try loving yourself.”
1. Winnie Harlow is a 19-year-old model with the skin condition vitiligo.
Her real name is Chantelle Brown-Young, and she also goes by Chantelle Winnie.
2. This week it was revealed that she will be the face of Spanish brand Desigual‘s Spring/Summer campaign “Say Something Nice.”
She will also be the label’s official brand ambassador.
3. Desigual have said that “She’s the perfect example of our vision: that the difference is beautiful.”
4. She also has a starring role in Diesel’s upcoming campaign.
5. Harlow developed the condition, an autoimmune disease which causes a lack of melanin in the skin, when she was around three years old.
She told her Instagram followers, “I wish I could ensure that little girl that things would get better, and everything would work out.”
6. Harlow has said “It was really hard growing up” as she was bullied as a child and called names such as “zebra” and “cow”.
7. Speaking to People she said “Growing up, it was a â€˜fake it â€˜til you make it’ type of thing. I just decided, â€˜You know what? I’m going to keep telling myself I’m beautiful until I feel beautiful.’ And it happened.”
8. Last year she caught the attention of Tyra Banks on Instagram and appeared in America’s Next Top Model.
9. And now they are total besties.
“The fact that she wanted me so badly for her show will stick with me for the rest of my life.”